Moulin Rouge was a class offered on the website A for Artistic and it was taught by Ankie Daanen, a international doll artist from Spain. Of course with Covid the class was online but there were great instructions and also a video. The addition of a video was very helpful. I love Ankie’s dolls and was excited to take this, a second online class I have taken with her.
In this class I learned how to use a “hot wire” to create her body. An amazing tool that goes through Styrofoam. The Styrofoam was shaped to create the body and then wrapped with gauze. The head is paper clay over heart shaped foam and sculpted free hand. I just loved creating her boots!! The boots I made differ from the class instructions because I really wanted to have boots true to the 1800’s ladies boots during the Moulin Rouge era. The boots are also sculpted with paper clay, as well as the hands.
The fabric I used for the dress was the most difficult fabric I have ever had to sew. All it did was fray – it was nearly impossible to work with and honestly I nearly gave up. But I just hated to find new fabric because I love the color of this fabric, so I finally worked through the issues and all turned out okay. The lace I had for many years. My Mother loved flea markets and would buy all types of fabrics, ribbons and sewing notions for me when she saw them. I wish she was here to see what I have created with these treasures. I decided to bead the collar, I really wanted to add sequins but the fabric issues prevented that, so I just settled on beads.
My Moulin Rouge doll was published in the winter editon of the online magazine A for Artistic ! I was so thrilled.
Thank you for visiting my website, due to spam I am no longer allowing comments. Some always have to ruin it for everyone. However, I do appreciate your visiting ! Enjoy every moment of every day, the days may seem long but the years are short.
Carnevale di Venezia is an annual festival held in Venice Italy every year, except this year of course. The festival is famous for the elaborate costumes and especially the ornate masks worn by everyone. This doll was created for a challenge for an art doll conference but due to the Covid pandemic the conference was held virtually so they did not include the challenge this year.
Because I had already started creating the doll I decided to finish her, she was so much fun to create. The armature for the doll is actually a gourd that I cleaned, cut, painted and glued to a wood base. I made the dress with a fabric I found at a clearance store that only cost one dollar. The fabric is such a beautiful color blue ! The arms and hands are fabric sculpted and the head is a gourd that I sculpted a face with paper clay and painted with acrylic paint. The hat is made with the blue fabric with lace fused to it and made into flower petals. The smaller masks are gourd pieces I cut and painted.
A fun piece to create even if the challenge was not held.
Thanks for visiting my site ! If you wish please leave a comment.
I have had this pattern of a Tasha Tudor doll for quite awhile and never found the time to make her. The original pattern is by Leslie O’Leary, a very talented doll artist that I have admired. Her art dolls, especially the Asian dolls are gorgeous and one day I hope to make one.
During this period of time during the self isolation or self sheltering Covid 19 pandemic I decided this would be a good diversion from all negativity in the world and take me back in time when in my early 20’s I was a librarian/media specialist. My love for literature, especially children’s literature is still very dear to me and Tasha Tudor’s beautiful illustrations are a favorite.
Besides a lack of time the other reason it took me awhile to create this doll was searching for the perfect fabric for her dress. I was looking for a blue flower fabric but the print had to be small, not huge and it had to be a random pattern. I had looked at fabric stores, quilt shops, just about everywhere and could not believe it when I found it at a flea market – in a bag of quilt scraps a lady was giving away for free.
Once I got started I of course made some changes, I wanted her to be free standing so I added supports in her legs, I painted her shoes right on the fabric instead of using felt. Her dress is a little different then the pattern and instead of mixing different patterns for her scarf I used the same fabric. For her apron I found a small cloth napkin that was my mother’s and she had embroidered a small blue flower on the corner. So I wanted to highlight that little blue flower by having her hold the apron in her hand. Her head and face are totally different from the original pattern. I have not mastered needle sculpting and I really do not like cloth dolls with the seam in the middle of a doll’s face so I had add small amount of paper clay to the cloth, gesso the face a few times sanding in between until I can barely see a hint of a seam and then I paint the face using acrylic paints. The hair is wool roving and wool yarn that I felted, I decided not to add a scarf to the hair because I just loved how her hair turned out.
All in all she took about a month to create and I was able to self isolate and still keep very busy ! I really love how she turned out, I may add some little blue flowers in her other hand to make her look like she just walked out of the “Secret Garden”. Ü
Thanks for visiting my site and leave a comment, I would love to hear how you like the doll or if you even know who Tasha Tudor was… I always respond to comments. Have a wonderful day and stay safe !
It is that time of year again !! This Halloween gourd was fun to create, cutting it, cleaning the inside, painting with acrylics and using some yellow tissue to cover the openings from the inside and adding a light in … Continue reading →